History of The Grange
8 February 2018
The Grange Auxiliary Hospital
Ruxbury Road, St Ann's Hill, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 9EP
Medical dates: 1915 - 1919
Medical character: Convalescent (military)
The Grange Auxiliary Hospital opened on 30th January 1915 in a house lent by a Mrs Vivian Brettell. The house, built on the slopes of St Ann's Hill, a 20-minute walk away from Chertsey, was large and comfortable with pleasant grounds, mature shady trees with tennis and croquet lawns.
At first the Hospital had 10 beds and received overflow patients from St George's Hill Auxiliary Hospital. By the end of March 1915, the beds were all occupied.
The bed complement was soon increased to 20, then 25 and the Hospital became affiliated to the Tooting Military Hospital. The nursing staff consisted of a Sister-in-charge and members of the Surrey/82, /96 and /122 Voluntary Aid Detachments (V.A.D.s).
By 1917 the Hospital had 30 beds for wounded servicemen, who usually stayed for about two weeks, receiving general treatment and massage (physiotherapy). The nursing staff now included a Matron and 2 residents V.A.D. nurses.
The Hospital closed on 23rd January 1919. During its operational lifetime, some 1,038 patients had been treated. The expenses of the Hospital, beyond the military grant, had been borne entirely locally and included gifts of vegetables, fruit, flowers, cakes, etc.